Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: web metrics & scanning tools

From: Jonathan Feldman <Jonathan () wpo co chatham ga us>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 07:43:35 -0500

Not necessarily topical, but ...

If you are looking for tools that "benchmark" the performance of your stuff, you'll need to go with something like
Pegasus (http://www.ganymedesoftware.com) or Vital Signs (http://www.vitalsigns.com).  These are reasonably high-dollar
items; all service-level stuff is.  (>$7K)

If you are just looking to poll your sites -- that is, do something more than a ping, actually verify that the socket
is listening, but the heck with metrics -- you can check out a network polling program.  I have a list of them on my
web site.  ( http://feldman.org/pollers.shtml )  They are pretty inexpensive, and some are shareware, ranging from
about $40-$1000.  (I think you're referring to NetOScope, I've never heard of Sitescope.)

Cheers,

--Jonathan

<Kenneth_W_Fox () sbphrd com> 03/17 2:21 PM >>>
We're looking for tools which benchmark the performance of our web &
firewalls & perform a health check on them.

For instance we want to be able to get some data from a web site through
our firewall to verify that we can reach the web site, and all of the
infrastructure inbetween (firewalls, routers, connection to ISP etc)

SOmeone suggested a product called "sitescope" -- does anyone here have any
experience with this stuff? -- We're looking for commercial or open source
or freeware or if we cannot find it we'll end up rolling our own (clearly
the last choice as far as the higher ups are concerned)

Thanks, KEn