Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: IMAP- how to protect a server?

From: "Mayne, Peter" <Peter.Mayne () compaq com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 09:50:13 +0800

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   chuck [SMTP:fwwiz () yerkes com]
        Sent:   Friday, June 04, 1999 10:58 AM
        To:     Aaron D. Turner; Ge' Weijers
        Cc:     firewall-wizards () nfr net
        Subject:        Re: IMAP- how to protect a server?

        I should know this, but does Kerberized IMAP encrypt the whole
        connection?  I imagine it does, but can someone say for sure?

Kerberos is an authentication mechanism, not an encrypting mechanism.

        PS:
        If you bump into ITAR rules, feel free to write a physical letter to
        your congressman a note that you will have to buy software overseas
and
        leave machines and software in your Euro office and wouldn't it be
nice
        if you could actually buy from your own country and support the
dying
        US encryption industry before it goes the way of TV manufacturing.
        (those of us in the US should likely do this regularly anyhow).

Are you making an implicit assumption that everyone on this list is a US
citizen? 8-)

PJDM
----
Peter Mayne, Compaq Computer Australia, Canberra, ACT
These are my opinions, and have nothing to do with Compaq.
"The wise man knows that he knows nothing." - Bill. "That's us, dude!" -
Ted.