Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IMAP- how to protect a server?

From: "Ge' Weijers" <ge () progressive-systems com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 09:12:44 -0400

On Sat, Jun 05, 1999 at 01:10:42AM -0400, Carric Dooley wrote:
I have been watching this thread... and I can't see how SSL protects the
server.  That would protect (to a degree) the content of the e-mail and
users passwords to the server, but not the server itself.

If you _require_ the use of client certificates only legitimate users
can connect to the IMAP server. This keeps most people from connecting
to you IMAP server altogether. This differs from the common use of SSL
on the web, where only the server has a certificate, and the client is
essentially anonymous.

Ge'

--
-
Ge' Weijers                                Voice: (614)326 4600