Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall comparison in Data Communications

From: Kevin Steves <stevesk () sweden hp com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 07:54:49 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 dnewman () cmp com wrote:
: Most SPF products (including all those in the Data Comm) has
: specific anti-ping o' death routines. True, this usually isn't part
: of the SPF itself. But there are safeguards in place against common
: attacks like IP spoofing, SYN flooding, ping of death, and the like.
:
: In the case of the ping of death, I presume these routines drop ICMP
: packets with a length greater than 64 kbytes. I'm curious to
: hear--what variant of the ping of death would be allowed through?

Remember, the underlying problem exploited by ping of death was an IP
reassembly defect.  And, while I haven't seen an exploit, it could be
possible to exploit the problem via a udp-echo of death, of http-get of
death.