Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: High availability

From: "Don Kendrick" <don () netspys com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 08:33:05 -0400

I've seen/heard of  several different ways to do this...depending on the
vendor and media (Ethernet or Token ring)...The solution should be
configured for whatever interfaces the two boxes share and failover should
occur if any interface fails.

One way to do it is for each box to have it's own IP address but to also
"share" a third address...ie one answers for the address  but if it goes
down the other starts answering. (Cisco HRSP does this as well...)

In the token ring world, I've seen the MAC to IP resolution issue addressed
by using a token ring functional MAC address that both boxes listen for.
However, on either TR or Ethernet, one could also use gratuitous ARP to fix
those ARP caches.

Don