Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Extreme Hacking

From: Vanja Hrustic <vanja () siamrelay com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 06:53:31 +0700

At 07:06 PM 7/1/99 +0200, Kunz, Peter wrote:
Folks,
Ernst & young made headlines in TIME when they offered the first run fo
their Extreme Hacking course. 5 days of Unix and NT hacking, with a CD to
take home. The participants are somewhat screend by having to be referenced
by local the local EY office. Recently, I was told attendees learn new
exploits and hacks that we will probably only see out in the open in 1-2
years. IBM seems to maintain a database with similar information, accessible

So, does it mean that E&Y are not reporting the vulnerabilities to the
vendors? I can hardly imagine an 'exploit' and a 'hack' that we won't see
open in 1-2 years, and someone is using it (and TEACHING) now. At the end,
the people who are 'inventing' the techniques and finding exploits are not
always from security or consulting companies.

by only a few pros. So, the question arises: what other companies have such
DBs? What are they worth? And the real issue: is there anything in there you
won't find on Bugtraq? After all, EY charges about $4.5K for 5 days.

Is there something like "30-day moneyback guarantee" if student is not
satisfied!? ;)

One thing remains very unclear - "pro". What is "pro"? If you work in "Just
Started Security & Co. Ltd." but other guys work in E&Y or IBM - does it
make them 'pros' and you are an 'amateur'? I also don't think that in 5
days you can really become a "pro" either... No matter how good teachers
you have.

Computer security business is still a big risk. You can pay a lot and get
nothing, you can pay a lot and get lot - but you might also pay nothing and
get lot.

Gamble ;)

Vanja