Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: how to block ICMP tunneling?

From: Ben Nagy <bnagy () cpms com au>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:11:13 +0930

My normal approach is to allow ICMP _in_, of certain types, but not allow it
_out_.

You want to be able to receive host unreachable, admin. prohibited, echo
reply, etc. You want your own traceroute, ping, et al to work!

Of particular concern are outgoing ICMP administratively prohibited (type
3/13) and echo reply (0/0, from memory). I tend to do it to frustrate scans.

Blocking all ICMP can have lots of negative implications, however.

Just a f'rinstance - I recently had a site that blocked all outgoing ICMP,
and then they found that lots of outgoing email was timing out. The reason?
The remote site sent an ident request to the local mailserver, and the
resulting ICMP error got blocked at the edge router. Because it never saw a
TCP RST, the remote mail server kept on trying the ident, and eventually the
connection dropped. Gross, I know, but that's what happens when you screw
with part of the protocol.

I fixed it in the end by rigging the router to send a TCP RST instead of an
ICMP 3/13, but the point is that ICMP is part of TCP/IP and lots of stuff
(rightly or wrongly) relies on it.

Cheers,

--
Ben Nagy
Network Consultant, CPM&S Group of Companies