Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: how to block ICMP tunneling?

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:19:20 -0400

Unless you have an application based firewall! Where the firewall is
actually scanning the contents of the pay load to check which commands for
that associated application protocol are coming in.

Most of the application proxy firewalls I know (I wrote a couple,
in the past) don't _really_ do much content/payload scanning.  Most
of that stuff was theoretical, rather than actually implemented.
For example, Gauntlet only looked for a couple of well-known
attacks in HTTP URLs (which are now hopelessly outdated) and a
few well-known attacks in E-mail addresses (which are now hopelessly
outdated).  Application level firewalls don't typically process
ICMP at layer 7. Does Raptor's? Do you scan the contents of
echo request/reply packets and do state preservation across
parts of a ping?

Originally, the myth of proxy firewall superiority was partially
driven by the "content scanning" concept, even though most of
the proxy firewalls did only a tiny bit more content scanning
than a router does. Now that I'm not in the firewall business
anymore, I like trying to get proxy firewall vendors to enumerate
the checks they actually do make. I've had little success. I suspect
because they make laughably few checks.

mjr.
--
Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
work - http://www.nfr.net