Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Reverse Proxy on DMZ

From: "Matt McClung" <mmcclung () ndwcorp com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:44:32 -0700

I don't mind the interjection.

I don't know how you tend to setup your 'DMZ's, but for myself, when I
create a new network off the firewall - be it DMZ, Extranet, etc - NOTHING
is allowed that I don't specifically allow.  For instance, if I put a mail
relay host on my DMZ I ONLY allow smtp to that box and nothing else.  All
other traffic is denied.

Now, I must admit I do see the servers on the DMZ as
quasi-sacrificial boxes, but I don't just allow anyone to do anything on
those servers.

I don't believe Checkpoint is the one who term the phrase DMZ - in fact I
know several FW/Security products which use the term.  The whole phrase
DeMilitarized Zone does not neccessarily mean that you have no defenses in
that area.  The term refers to an area which is handled differently (access
wise) than your internal LAN.  You never allow access into the LAN directly.
But you do allow some traffic into the DMZ.

Matt McClung