Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The value of detecting neutralized threats. (was RE: IDS blah blah)

From: davidg () genmagic com (David Gillett)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:05:19 -0800

On 21 Jan 99, at 22:40, John Kozubik wrote:

There are two reasons for trying to detect traffic and breaches with IDS
that you have previously taken steps to prevent.

(in answer to he question "why should we watch for netbios traffic if we
have already firewalled those ports?")

1. The existence of network scans, petty DoS attempts, and lame netbios
attacks can be one of two things - some teenager getting their kicks, or,
a sophisticated attacker using these probes as a precursor to a more
sophisticated (and successful, perhaps) attack.  Do not kid yourselves and
think that well funded attackers do not at least try the front door once
or twice before bringing out the big guns.  If you have sensitive and
valuable data to protect, you are doing yourself a disservice by not
making an effort to look for traffic that should theoretically not exist
on the network.

By discovering these precursors to what might be a more sophisticated
attack, action can be taken to prevent its escalation.

  Exactly.  An intruder is unlikely to penetrate a reasonable level of
security on the first try, unless extremely well-informed.  Proactive
defense means detecting and responding (a chat with their ISP is often
sufficient -- works better if they also hear from a few .mil and .gov
sites...) to their initial failed attempts.

David G