Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The value of detecting neutralized threats. (was RE: IDS bla

From: Dominique Brezinski <dom_brezinski () securecomputing com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:14:32 -0800

At 08:19 PM 1/27/99 -0500, Vik Bajaj wrote:
On 26-Jan-99 Dominique Brezinski wrote:

OK, here is a classic example of theory versus practicality.  I agree in
theory with John.  I personally want to know every time someone tries to do
[snip]
And one knowledgeable person to run it will cost you $100,000+ per year,
not to mention all the legal research and effort necessary to come up with
the threat response plan and policies.

It does not follow from the simple fact that a threat is known, perceived, or
detected that a response should be mounted.  If we accept that assertion,
than no IDS can ever be successful.  In fact, a persuasive argument can be
made

What assertion? That IDS involves more than just a RealSecure or NFR box?
That there is all sorts of work that goes into figuring out whether or not
a response should be mounted?

Dominique Brezinski CISSP                   (206) 898-8254
Secure Computing        http://www.securecomputing.com