Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: IDS data collection _outside_ of a firewall

From: Marc Delince <marc.delince () computer org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 07:52:09 -0500

What is missing?

You want something simple, comparable to a video camera? Use a network sniffer connected to a disk farm + tapes. Now
nobody will ever be reading the recorded data probably if only because of the huge quantity of irrelevant data logged.

But if you have a legal investigation, you probably (I am not a lawyer) could use the traces as evidence (like the
cameras).

Now if you also want to have someone to look at the current "images" (events), like they do in security guards rooms
with the cameras, you could use an IDS to extract the "interesting events out of the millions of packets flowing on
your network connection.

Does this mean you need a sniffer and an IDS? May be... ask your lawyer/legal department/... On my part, I believe that
a good IDS that will display the major event (should only be very few) to the SOC (Security Operating Center) or
whoever is responsible for security AND start logging the traffic when any interesting traffic is detected (could be a
lot more events) seems to correspond to my idea of securing my site.

Who could implement this? Anyone. Provided you have the right tool. The tool that will give you a maximum of help to
understand what is going on, what impact it may have on you. Also the tool that gives you flexibility in detecting
events and logging traffic.

Just my 0.02$.

Have a terrific day.

Marc Delince