Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Smurfs and fraggles

From: Arnd Vehling <arnd () vehling de>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:54:26 +0100

Hello,

If I understand this correctly would a simple solution be to filter all
incomming broadcasts?  Would it just be a matter of setting up a filter on the
router to drop all incomming packets with a destination address of
xxx.xxx.xxx.255 where xxx.xxx.xxx is my network address?

If you are using /24 network (formerly know as Class-C) this is right.

Is there a reason I wouldn't want to do this?

For small leave-nodes of the internet with a limited number of subnets
this is a solution, but if you are responsible for a larger block of
ip-space with one hundred or more subnets this would mean you would
have to filter _all_ existing subnet-broadcast-masks. Which is probably
not a pratical thing to do.

regards,

  Arnd

--

NetHead                                 Network Design and Security
Arnd Vehling                            av () nethead De