Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Smurfs and fraggles

From: Bennett Todd <bet () newritz mordor net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:43:53 +0000

1999-02-11-16:37:53 dcostello () cmol com:
Based on my understanding I don't see as there is a way to prevent from
being attacked unless I can somehow monitor the rate of incoming ICMP
packets and if there's some sudden spike from a certain IP address or
addresses automatically filter them out. That seems like a fair amount of
intelligence and programming to put into a router or firewall.

To protect against this kind of DoS, you have to block the packets upstream of
the bottleneck that will get swamped --- typically your link up to the
backbone. I.e. you have to get your provider to put filters on _their_ router.

While perhaps few sites do it until they've been attacked, it is becoming a
relatively common practice to get ICMP echo reply blocked at the backbone
router, losing you the ability to use ping. If fraggle were widely used people
would have to do that with UDP echo as well, losing you the ability to use
traceroute.

A much more precise fix is possible, and could probably be programmed into a
fw1 or other "stateful inspection" type firewall; you'd need to define rules
to let the firewall block all packets of whatever type until some hint is
given that you are gonna want them; the details will be application specific.
E.g. for ping, the rule would be something like "if you see an outbound
ICMP echo request, allow up to one return echo reply to come back, from the
request's destination addr to the request's src addr, and drop the exception
if it isn't used within 5 minutes". I expect a similar hack would work for UDP
echo to allow traceroute to generate a complete report.

I fear we probably won't succeed in stopping people from committing this sort
of attack; it's too much effort to hunt the perps down and properly persecute
them, few victims will bother. And the needed filters to prevent sites from
being amplifiers will probably never be universally deployed. So I expect
before too many years, the necessary minimum config for a good internet feed
will include a suitably configured firewall on the provider's end.

What firewalls are currently available that can in fact implement the kind of
rules I'm fantasizing here? FW1? Cisco Pix? Anything else?

-Bennett