Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: Smurfs and fraggles

From: Dani Arbel <darbel () techunix technion ac il>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:18:38 +0200 (IST)

Hi!
Well , you should do that. This will not defend you from being the
attacked site.
In smurf attack, host a from site A sends an icmp echo req. to the
broadcast address of site B with a spoofed ip source, the ip of the
victim.
Thus all nodes at B flood the victim with echo replies to an echo request
he never sent.
The point is that this attack would probebly degrade your WAN link, and
not choke the victim host.
Blocking the broadcast address is done easily on a cisco router (no direct
broadcast). Blocking the attack is problematic, you need to use a traffic
shaper machine on the remote side of your WAN link and restric the
bandwidth of icmp (and maybe ip ?) echo .
Dani