Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Buffer Overruns

From: Michael Kelly <michaelkelley () home com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:17:17 -0500

sean.kelly () lanston com wrote:

From: Michael Kelly [mailto:michaelkelley () home com]

 Any news good or bad about Opera? We have to ditch IE now
according to
our customer. There are some bugs on the customers website
that show up when you use IE.
 I'm thinking about trying Opera out for the hell of it.

IMO Opera is functionally the best browser around.  The interface, however,
leaves a lot to be desired.  I can't say I understand getting rid of one of
the top 2 browsers because they don't know how to write HTML properly,
though.  If you're going to write priprietary code, you normally target one
of the big 2.  Are there other security concerns that influenced the
decision?  All my other complaints about Microsoft aside, I think they make
the best browser around, and are quite good at releasing updates when an
issue is dicovered.

  I haven't specifically experienced any problems with it, but some of
the end users have. The customer wants us to use web based applications
to interact with some of thier systems. And apparently, there are a
couple of bugs in those apps that appear when you use IE.
  For home use, I like IE. I tend to use Netscape since that browser is
installed by my ISP.
 I downloaded Opera the other day and managed to crash it a couple of
times trying to access my news server. But other than that, it worked
just fine.

 Still, the bean counters are going to flinch at the $7.00 per license
fee when you can still get Netscape and IE for free.

--
Ignorantque datos, ne quisquam serviat, enses.
Lucanus (A.D. 39-65), De Bello Civili