Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Network Monitors

From: Johnny Shelley <syntax () nations net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:16:51 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Kaptain wrote:

Hi all, a slightly off topic question:

Any recommendations on network monitors to verify smtp, http, and
firewall online status (ping) of various machines.  I'm looking for
something that can send a page or an e-mail if there is a problem. Thanks!

I use a tool called autostatus (sorry I don't see a webpage for it on the
generated output, but I'll dig through it tomorrow if you have a hard time
locating it).  Autostatus can check for icmp reply and do tcp port
checking as well.  As an added bonus, it can check key points (such as a
router) and will not check machines that depend on that link being up if
it fails.  It can send email output as well as generate a webpage so you
can view the status of all machines.

johnny
---
"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me."
                        -- Nathaniel Lee, on being consigned to a mental
                           institution, circa 17th century.