Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Network Monitors

From: martin () wonderfrog net
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 20:05:58 -0600 (CST)

Hello all,

We use a package called "mon" by Jim Trockij.  It's a daemon which
appears to scale pretty well....it's a perl critter, and has all kinds
of easily modified modules for monitoring, alerting, paging, and even
for controlling the daemon itself.  You can easily add your own, and it
allows you a fair amount of flexibility when setting 'threshholds' for
sensitivity....i.e, if you have a host on a LAN, you want a very low
threshhold for alerts, but if you are testing a host on a transatlantic
-pacific link, you can select a higher threshhold of "sensitivity", so
you don't get a page just because a router got reset somewhere in
Newfoundland or Canberra...

http://ftp.kernel.org/software/mon/

-Martin