Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Buffer Overruns

From: "Ryan Russell" <Ryan.Russell () sybase com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:43:24 -0800

I really feel silly asking this, but;
Can these buffer overrun bugs penetrate firewalls?

Absolutely.  Client-side holes are all the rage nowadays.

I'm trying to
convince the boss to ditch IE in favor of Netscape. (which is only
slightly better)

It galls me to say this, but IE is better than Netscape at present.
I might be willing to believe that IE has more problems than
Netscape, but Microsoft has gotten very good at producing
timely patches, while Netscape has stopped producing patches
at all.

If you can't get it right the first time (and clearly MS and Netscape can't)
then the next most important factor is how quick you can patch.  The
windowsupdate site is also the best way I've seen to distribute patches
to Joe User as well.

I only hope that Mozilla goes release soon, and is popular and usable.
I'd love to be able to send a source patch with the next browser bug
I find, and I'm sure that's the case with others too.

                         Ryan