Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Buffer Overruns

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () cse ogi edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 23:56:55 +0000

Michael Kelly wrote:

 I really feel silly asking this, but;
 Can these buffer overrun bugs penetrate firewalls?

It's highly circumstantial.  It depends on:

   * Where the buffer overflow attack needs to go.  Is it just an URL?
     A tag in an HTML file?  A tag in an RTF file?  Etc.
   * What kind of firewall you're using.  They go through packet filters
     like water through a sieve.  They *might* be stopped by a proxy
     filter, depending on what the proxy is looking for.

I'm trying to convince the boss to ditch IE in favor of Netscape.
(which is only
slightly better)

I don't see a huge difference right now.  When Mozilla goes beta, I'll
probably StackGuard it for Linux.

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com