Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: a fun new tool from us...

From: Jonathan Rozes <jrozes () vinton com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:19:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, C. Harald Koch wrote:

One yahoo probes me twice per day, at random times, on the PC/Anywhere port
(5632).

Intersting tidbit: PCA uses an "IP discovery protocol" to find other PCA
hosts on a network if you don't give it a specific IP to connect to. The
"protocol" assumes you are on a /24 network and probes xxx.xxx.xxx.1
through xxx.xxx.xxx.254 for PCA service. I found this out when I got a
call from my ISP asking why one of my users on a /26 network was port
scanning another customer's /26 network that happened to be contiguous
with ours.

I reported the problem to Symantec, but they didn't seem to grasp what I
was talking about...

Cheers,
jonathan (CIDR? Ain't that some kind of fancy fruit drink?)

+++ Jonathan Rozes, System Administrator, Will Vinton Studios