Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Penetration testing via shrinkware

From: "McEwen, Don" <dmcewen () nsf gov>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 14:37:51 -0400

I'd like to agree that a human can do a much better job,
however "For everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose
under the heaven." [Prov 3:1]

I recently had to scan several http hosts that I don't manage for a
particular
vulnerability. I spent better part of 2 hours to look for this particular
vulnerability on about 20 hosts. Sure I could have typed faster and
had a better methodology but an automated tool that would check them should
have taken 5 minutes or less.

My experience is that we have more "users" publishing web pages off the
desktop
or "user" department with their own web servers and other vulnerable
machines.
I'd think that the human would do a better job, but what seems to happen in
these
cases is that the IT department doesn't have staff necessary to support an
unlimited number of servers and most just don't get any checking at all. An
automated tool would at least give some protection.

Don McEwen