Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Penetration testing via shrinkware

From: "Ivan Arce,CORE SDI" <ivan () securenetworks com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:09:58 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Adam Shostack wrote:

On Sun, Sep 20, 1998 at 06:47:08AM +1000, Christopher Nicholls wrote:
| At 12:44 AM 18/09/98 -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:
| >tqbf () pobox com wrote:
| >I beg to differ.  A firewall can at least theoretically be verified:  if
| it is
| >formally proven to enforce a policy of (say) allowing through traffic on
| ports X
| >and Y, and no others, then the firewall is verified.  A scanner, on the other
| >hand, can never be verified, because the potential list of vulnerabilities
| that
| >it could reasonably be expected to check for is infinite.  Scanners can
| never be
| >complete, because the space of possible mis-configurations and buggy software
| >knows no bounds.
|
| True, but the same can be said for firewalls, in that there are always new
| attack mechanisms being developed to defeat firewalls; so in a sense they
| are never complete either. Certification of firewalls is usually
| assurance-based; that is, verified to levels of asuusrance - such as the
| Common-Criteria evaluations. This means that basically the certification
| procedure checks and confirms what the manufacturers claim it can can do -
| a security target. Maybe it would be possible to set a similar security
| target for intrusion detection software and scanner software too?

      The platonic-ideal firewall resists new attacks.   I don't
believe that the ideal scanner finds new things.  Thus, a firewall
that does not block a new attack in the class of things it is designed
to watch is broken.  This is the result of a deny everything stance.
In practice, firewalls will fall short of their goal.  The question to
ask is how far and how often?

IMHO the platonic-ideal scanner detects all the bugs its designed to
detect without false positives disregarding a finite set of
factors ( net. topology, firewalls in between, NAT, operating
systems, configuration variations, os versions and interactions
between  those factors).
In that sense i believe its harder to certify a scanner than a firewall
*unless* a scope and framework for the certification procedure is
predefined.

OTOH a firewall must enforce a policy no matter what..

Ivan Arce
SecLabs @ NAI