Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: Penetration testing via shrinkware

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 13:19:33 -0400

"Marcus J. Ranum" writes:
Richard Christie wrote:
What your really driving at Marcus is developing software in a trusted manne
r.
Companies developing Firewall software should be evaluated by SEI for a
Capability Maturity Model (CMM) rating.

ARrrggghhHH!!!!

More formalistic nonsense scams! Does someone's ability to
predictably generate documentation really correlate to their
ability to produce a good product that works?? The SEI evaluation
may have some validity, but it strikes me more like an attempt
to do one of those ISO9000-oid certification scams.

I really very strongly agree.

From what I can tell, no giant formalism substitutes for having people
who know what they are doing looking over your design.

It's important that people developing security products know
what they're doing,

BING BING BING BING BING

and know how to write security critical
code -- but I can't think of a practical way to legislate it.

You can't.

Perry