Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Trusted Unices Aren't?

From: Paul McNabb <mcnabb () argus-systems com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:21:14 -0600 (CST)

 From: Gordon Greene <Gordon.Greene () netsec net>
 Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:48:24 -0500

 Well, as I mentioned in another message, Argus makes a B1 add-on to Solaris
 (called Pitbull).  It is designed to be F-B1/E3, but is being put in for a
 higher level.  I'm not sure what the current status is.  Also, DG/UX is
 available with a B2 option.  I don't know if this is so much an add-on or
 just a different set of install media.

 Perhaps it doesn't provide warm fuzzies to put MLS on top of something
 which isn't.  The process does seem to make some subsbitutions in the
 kernel and applications, though.  The real test is how well they stand up
 to attack and what the performance and convenience cost is.

The Argus product has all Orange Book (at all levels) and all CMW security
features, as well as a number of others.  Although it is installable on a
running Solaris system, it doesn't "layer" the security, but actually
replaces the kernel modules that need to be "fixed" to support the system.

Our next release for both SCO Unixware and Solaris 7 will have many new
features, including integrity labels, state-based security, the Decaf
capability labeling, and many others.  It is being evaluated under the
Common Criteria at EAL4.

paul

Paul McNabb                     Argus Systems Group, Inc.
Vice President and CTO          1809 Woodfield Drive
mcnabb () argus-systems com        Savoy, IL 61874 USA
TEL 217-355-6308
FAX 217-355-1433                "Securing the Future"