Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Audit Programme/checklist

From: Bret Watson <lists () bwa net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 21:56:14

Marcus,

I do a lot of training for a "big six" firm and an audit checklist
is a fairly common request. I haven't ever given one to anyone,
because I don't have one. If you know what you're doing when you
audit a firewall, you don't need a checklist. If you don't know
Agreed - Why are we looking at this? - one having a checklist means that we
could use a stooge to collect particular data - not my idea, but I suspect
the local C&L would like this - saves on paying for me :{

The real reason is this - if you have a structured framework and a series
of 'checklists/tests' for a range of problems - then you begin to provide
some form of structure to the whoel thing - it will help those new to the
game have _some_ idea of what they really should be doing - there are more
than a few that beleive that if they cannot hack into it it is OK -
otherwise the way they hacked in is the vulnerability - sad but true...

Now, obviously, that's not going to make a lot of sense on a
Checkpoint, or a Firewall/Plus, etc. Someone who was using this
checklist would either look stupid or would have to know enough
about what they're doing to not need it in the first place. :)

Certainly - I find that even on all the varying forms of FW/Unix - there is
still a structure though - you can still manage to find the log files etc -
no matter where the manufacturer deems it useful to store them :{.

I feel that a checklist is better as a guide then as a bible - anyone doing
an audit 'by the book' is going to get caught out really fast in our
industry - if not be their employer, then by a hacker using something
different - same as the paper on IDS...

in the installed context. It takes a lot of expertise -- more than
can be comfortably fit in a book or taught. Even if you did fit it
on a checklist or in a book by the time you had it written down
the rules would have changed. :(
doesn't it just, but hey its another windmill :}

that are basically undocumented. :( What you really want isn't a
checklist, it's a flow-chart. A really BIG flow-chart that goes
kind of like:
good idea - we might follow this one as well - thinking about it - its more
like a diagnostic chart than anything - which is what we are doing when we
audit really...

Cheers,

bret
Technical Incursion Countermeasures
consulting () bwa net                      http://www.ticm.com/
ph: (+61)(08) 9454 2487(UTC+8 hrs)      fax: (+61)(08) 9454 6042

The Insider - a e'zine on Computer security
http://www.ticm.com/about/insider.html