Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DNS -vs- the firewall: security thoughts

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:12:52 -0800

On Thu, Mar 12, 1998 at 07:39:58AM -0800, Joe Ippolito wrote:
It sounds like you are doing a protocol conversion which takes a special
Winsock.

I see no winwocks here. Windows neither. I Don't Do Windows.

What we have is web browsers. When you tell a web browser to use a proxy
at such and so port on whatchamacallit machine (visible on the inside
net) it passes the URLs, hostname and all, to the proxy and lets it do
any lookups and whatnot --- the presumption is that whether the client
can or can't look up the host, it can't reach that IP address anyway.

We have email clients. They they just toss their traffic at the nearest
in-house Mail Transport Agent (MTA). The MTAs are configured so if they
can't look up a hostname, they toss it at the firewall and let it take a
bash at it.

We have a very small handful of users who do telnetting or ftp-ing out
--- they have to telnet or ftp to the firewall, authenticate themselves
to the proxy there, then tell the proxy the name of the host they want
to connect to.

-Bennett