Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NTp config - for the databases :}

From: "Joseph S. D. Yao" <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 11:01:46 -0500 (EST)

Add a couple of radio receivers to the lot (radio-to-ntp boxes are available
for reasonable prices) which gives you in-house stratum-1 servers to
complement the internet servers.

Reminds me of [don't laugh] a Superman television show episode, where
Supes got the National Atomic Clock folks to speed up their radio
signal to get the crook to emerge before the statute of limitations ran
out.  [There were other indications in that episode, looking back as an
older self, that they were stretching for plot ideas by then.]

You don't have to be Superman.  Just put a transmitter antenna close to
the receiving antenna, and make the transmitter just powerful enough to
override and spoof the real time signal.

As long as we're being careful about looking for the perfect time
source ...

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO Computer Support                                          EMT-A/B