Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Web search engines / robots / spiders?

From: Amos Hayes <ahayes () ingenia com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:52:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Joseph S. D. Yao wrote:

We're looking to get some kind of a Web search engine that would walk
<snip>
Does anybody have any suggestions / pointers / warnings of doom?

Have a look at Harvest (http://harvest.transarc.com/).

"Harvest is an integrated set of tools to gather, extract, organize,
search, cache, and replicate relevant information across the
Internet. With modest effort users can tailor Harvest to digest
information in many different formats from many different
machines, and offer custom search services on the web."

It makes use of Glimpse (http://glimpse.cs.arizona.edu/) for indexing and
querying.

The whole Harvest package is quite a handful and may cause nausea for the
first couple days, but once you have the hang of it you'll be hard pressed
to find something it *can't* do. I use it for slicing & dicing myself. :)

--
Amos Hayes                                        Systems Architect
ahayes () ingenia com                   Ingenia Group - Software Kinetics Ltd.

"Remember: No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
   - ELEANOR ROOSEVELT