Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Web search engines / robots / spiders?

From: "Bruce B. Platt" <Bruce.Platt () comport com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:34:48 -0400

At 02:06 PM 7/17/98 -0400, Joseph S. D. Yao wrote:

We have found AltaVista Search to be useful and flexible in both the NT and
Digital Unix versions.

One can set a variety of options for aggressiveness of search, starting
points, include and exclude rules, and so forth.

You can set it up to traverse your intranet and some selected
external-to-your zone sites.  (Not to be used to duplicate tghe indices at
altavista.digital.com.)

Regards

->We're looking to get some kind of a Web search engine that would walk
->our intranet/extranet/whatever inside its firewall boundaries, ignoring
->that Internet stuff outside the firewalls, and give us a way to search
->the whole intra-web from one place.  I had thought there were several
->announced products out there - Alta Vista, Excite, whatever.  Strangely,
->the only one we can find anything on is Alta Vista, and there is more
->info outside of DEC than in.  I also found references to an Open Source
->package called web-search, which sure sounds like it might be something
->like what we're looking for.  [Searching for a downloadable copy on
->sunsite as I write.]
->
->Does anybody have any suggestions / pointers / warnings of doom?
->
->Thanks.
->
->--
->Joe Yao                               jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
->COSPO Computer Support                                                EMT-A/B
->-----------------------------------------------------------------------
->This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.
->
->
->
Bruce B. Platt, Ph.D. Vice-President
Comport Consulting Corporation
78 Orchard Street
Ramsey, NJ 07446
Phone: 201-236-0505  Fax: 201-236-1335
bbp () comport com, bruce.platt () comport com, bruce () comport com