Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: a long response to a Short note on new Laws

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 02:35:39 +0000

At 11:02 AM 7/8/98 -0400, Adam Shostack wrote:
      Which is to say that new and budding security experts will
have to work out of sight of the law to learn the tricks that make
them 'recognized professionals.'

      So, until someone is a recognized professional, they work in
the underground with the paragons of ethics to be found there.

      I don't think the CSI is ready to properly qualify
professionals, never mind the Government.

The draft bill with the research exemption does not define 'recognized
professionals'.  It does list several criteria that can be used, such as
employment, education, training, etc.  (I can't find that draft on
the Web, and my hardcopy is in my office.)

That notwithstanding, it's a thoroughly bad bill, including the
draft 'compromise' I've seen.