Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Multiple mail servers on virtual domains

From: BVE <bve () quadrix com>
Date: 16 Jan 1998 00:04:24 -0500

     Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 21:10:49 +0100 (CET)
     From: Hubert Weikert <weikert () muninn cube net>

     On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Doron Shikmoni wrote:
     > So far there's nothing special. However, I would need these
     > virtual domains to be served different mail repositories
     > (i.e., johndoe () domain1 our net should be a different user
     > from johndoe () domain2 out net). This (I think) rules out
     > the idea of running one mail server with a few v-domains.

     This could be done with sendmail 8.8.x. The m4-FEATURE to use ist
     `virtusertable'.

Or, you can use Qmail (www.qmail.org).  Virtual domains for mail are as easy as
editing a simple text file list....  Personally, I think Qmail is substantially
easier to configure than Sendmail, and much more secure.  (You don't even need
a separate mail proxy -- Qmail's smtpd effectively *is* a proxy!)

Unless you really need some of the advanced features of Sendmail, take a close
look at Qmail....

--

                                     -- Bill Van Emburg
                                        Quadrix Solutions, Inc.