Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Multiple mail servers on virtual domains

From: Hubert Weikert <weikert () muninn cube net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 21:10:49 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Doron Shikmoni wrote:
So far there's nothing special. However, I would need these
virtual domains to be served different mail repositories
(i.e., johndoe () domain1 our net should be a different user
from johndoe () domain2 out net). This (I think) rules out
the idea of running one mail server with a few v-domains.

This could be done with sendmail 8.8.x. The m4-FEATURE to use ist
`virtusertable'.
This works like the user based alias-mechanism (/etc/aliases), but also
matches the domain part of the address. Sendmail uses a dbm database
(/etc/virtusertable by default) with entries like:

johndoe () domain1 our net  john1
johndoe () domain2 our net  john2
johndoe () domain3 our net  john () other post.office
johndoe () domain4 our net  john () second post.office
@domain5.our.net         allmail5

Virtusertable forwards and maps only incoming mail. To have the rigth
sender for local users in the mail headers (like johndoe () domain2 our net
for user john2), you must use the user database of sendmail (/etc/userdb
by default). This database uses entries like:

john1:mailname  johndoe () domain1 our net
john2:mailname  johndoe () domain2 our net

See docs for sendmail, file cf/README; also the book
about sendmail from Costales/Allman, 2nd ed.

smail has a similar feature, but I am not familiar with it.

Regards,
Hubert

Hubert Weikert   DB1MQ   Member of DARC (www.darc.de) and FITUG (www.fitug.de)
Email: weikert () cube net  weikert () compuserve com  http://www.cube.net/~weikert/
Book: Kryptographie mit dem Computer (PGP Praxis) ISBN 3-7905-1503-5  DM 19,80
PGP Key fingerprint = 99 38 A5 83 C8 76 F4 E1  A7 9C B9 70 9A A7 70 10