Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Ports and privileges

From: mcnabb () argus-systems com (Paul McNabb)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 08:17:58 -0600

The separation of "root" into multiple small privileges is exactly
what is done on many of the trusted operating systems.  When using
one of these systems as your webserver or firewall base, you avoid
many of the problems experienced with less secure operating systems.

paul

 From: Chris Pugrud <ChrisP () steldyn com>

 I know that _one_ of the primary reasons for all of the workarounds in
 doing suid and chroot is because many of these programs need to run as
 root (yes, chroot has many other uses).  Why do they need to run as
 root?  The primary reasons seems to be so that they can open privileged
 ports.

 How hard would it be to modify the stack (say Linux) so that I can run
 an unprivileged program on a low port (say 80)?  Why would this be a bad
 thing?  I understand the original concept, to keep users from running
 programs on privileged ports, but firewalls don't have users.

 Is there another logical reason that this step is not taken.  Why can't
 I have a compile time option of "Disable privileged port restrictions?"
 Or is this coded so deeply in the system that it would just be a
 nightmare?

 Is the privileged port concept just a fuzzy glossover for some hidden
 primary issue that I don't want unprivileged uid's running on
 "privileged" ports on a firewall?

 I know I am not the first person to follow this logic chain.  What I
 want to know is why isn't it being done.

Paul McNabb                     Argus Systems Group, Inc.
Vice President and CTO          1809 Woodfield Drive
mcnabb () argus-systems com        Savoy, IL 61874 USA
TEL 217-355-6308
FAX 217-355-1433                "Securing the Future"