Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Lotus Domino as an access control to internal network

From: dharris () kcp com
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:38:50 -0600

I have been asked to help our internal e-mail team provide external access
to internal e-mail.  They want to use a Lotus Domino server connected to a
set of dial-up access points.  The Lotus Domino server would also connect
to our internal network.  The e-mail team claims that, because the NT box
which supports the Lotus Domino server has no dial-up software loaded, the
Lotus Domino server cannot be suborned into acting as a gateway to our
internal network.

I would greatly appreciate comments on the wisdom or stupidity of this
desire.  I would prefer that access to the Lotus Domino server be provided
via token-based authentication at a dial-up server but I am willing to be
persuaded by reasonable arguments.

TIA for your help.

                                Delmer D. Harris
                                dharris () kcp com