Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: INtrusion Detection

From: "George M. Jones" <gjones () CompuServe NET>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 12:00:11 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998 tqbf () secnet com wrote:

The current advertising claim that these systems work AT ALL is false
(in my absolutist perspective), and remains so until the trivial problems
are fixed.

I used one of these "systems [that don't work] AT ALL" recently to
identify SMTP sessions delivering a total of more than 9,400,000 spam
messages in a 5 day period.  It also identified thousands of other
attacks and potential attacks.

I read your paper and I appreciate the seriousness of the fundamental
flaws/limitations that you (and Vern Paxon) point out.  I also
genuinely appreciate the fact that you are exposing the problems and
opening a serious discussion on the shortcomings of the products.

But to say that they don't work at all is a bit over the edge.  I
think they do add incremental value, flaws and all.  CISCO seems to
agree.

Now, if the vendors continue in silence, I will begin to be more concerned...

George Jones, Internet Security Engineer, CompuServe Network Services
Email: George.Jones () CompuServe NET, Voice: +1 614 723-4560
Snail Mail: 5000 Britton Rd., PO BOX 5000, Hilliard, Ohio 43026-5000 USA
PGP: 1024/8C1CEFC9 Fingerprint 20 79 AE 12 D0 8C 44 8F C5 37 2B 40 EA F5 C3 35