Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: INtrusion Detection

From: Vern Paxson <vern () ee lbl gov>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 10:11:56 PST

I started a similar thread a few days ago on the IDS list ...

(Is that list still alive?  I never unsubscribed, but haven't seen your post.)

One thing that I have noticed, is that we tend to deal in absolutes...  A
product has to meet x,y,z absolutely or it is considered BAD.  I totally
disagree with that thought stream ...

To my mind, the current IDS arguments/discussions are not about absolute
security.  They're instead in particular about vulnerabilities that can
be exploited *by software alone*.  Experience has proven it's vital to
defend against these, as absolutely as possible, because of the speed
with which exploit software can spread.

                Vern