Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Important Comments re: INtrusion Detection

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 19:50:08 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Aleph One wrote:

Nonetheless, I'd like to see OS and firewalls vendors integrate these
features into their products (particularly capabilities and MACs). Secure
Computing is to be commended for using some of this (or similar)
technology on their Sidewinder firewall. Harris as well for the
CyberGuard firewall running in a B1 operating system. HP also has a secure
web server product running under a secure version of HP-UX. To bad that

It got spun off as Cyberguard Corp. and I *think* they dropped the B1 OS
recently and switched to BSDI.

BDM is currently also doing Cybershield with the "under evaluation" DG/UX
B2 product.

that version is compleatly different from CMW HP-UX which is developed by
a different team. A waste of efforts if you ask me. Of curse these
products vary a lot on how well integrated they are and how much use
they make of the features of the underlaying secure OS but it is a trend
I'd like so see on the rise.

Last I heard, Trusted Irix was also undergoing a rewrite.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280