Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Important Comments re: INtrusion Detection

From: tqbf () secnet com
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 13:12:23 -0600 (CST)

Paul D. Robertson, Sun 15 Feb 98

I'm curious as to why this is a "bad thing"? Reassembly prior to passing
to the packet filtering layer gets rid of a whole class of attack.

Amen. It's 1998. We have gateways that rewrite entire IP headers now and
change their IP addresses. I don't think the "can't reassemble frags"
argument really stands up anymore (in a security application).

I wonder how FW-1 would stack up to the sort of tests that SNI put
the various IDS systems through.
I suppose I wasn't the first to wonder this.

Shhhhhhhhhhh. ;)

Thomas H. Ptacek                                        Secure Networks, Inc.
http://www.enteract.com/~tqbf                           "mmm... sacrilicious"