Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Important Comments re: INtrusion Detection

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 19:56:05 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Paul M. Cardon wrote:

You do not need to be a proxy to have this information. Being a proxy
allows you to do network intrusion detection WITHOUT this information. The
problem you need to solve at this point is "how the hell do we get this
kind of information to the IDS in real time, in order to make my non-proxy
sniffer IDS work."

One of the major reasons why passive-listening ID systems have been getting
so much hype is that they are being advertised as a way to detect attacks
that may originate inside the network perimeter protected by the conventional
firewall.  In other words the claim is that they provide threat detection
originating from any device on the network targeting any other device on the
network.  However, until these systems can obtain all of the secondary
information Thomas mentions above then they are severely limited in their
advertised capabilities.

Hmmm, I've not thought all of this completely through yet, but how much
of the original "doesn't work for IDS" stuff is valid if the IDS is on a
chokepoint swtich with a promiscuous port, and every other device on the
switch (just routers I'd guess) is on a port where only packets from their MAC
address can come out?  What are we left with as an IDS vulnerability in
that scenerio if we assume the routers can, and if we assume the routers
can't be compromised?

Digging for solutions...

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280