Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Cisco PIX bug, discussions (lenghty)

From: Robert Stahlbrand <robert () nmac ericsson se>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 16:12:49 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi again!

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Eric Vyncke wrote:

Ryan,

Comments in-line.

At 09:58 25/08/98 -0700, Ryan Russell wrote:
[performance reasons snipped]

If I may also make a sweeping statement:

Performance isn't relevant to security applications.  I.e. you
can't say "it will hurt performance, so we'll leave out some
security."  If that were a consideration, we wouldn't use firewalls.
Realistically, that means that if it's too slow we buy bigger
boxes or suffer along at a slower pace.

100% agree with you, of course.

Of course...

Nevertheless, the transit time can be critical for some
applications.

5) redundant paths... a firewall is a single point of traffic
concentration, so, a firewall can reassemble all IP fragments because
a firewall `sees' all of the fragments. From a router perspective,
a router may not see all fragments due to load balancing among
links, route flapping, ... so a router CANNOT make IP defragmentation.

And musn't do according to RFC:s!

Well...no.  EVERY router can't defrag, but there's no reason my
single access router in front of my firewall/IDS/whatever can't.

I don't think any router should do defrag! We must understand that a
router and a firewall are designed for different purposes. To be able to
do filtering on routers is only an option.
A firewall do a lot of things not accoring to any RFC but the main thing
here is to protect networks from any thinkable attack and if there is a
possibility to do defrag-attack then it's the firewall who should handle
it and that's it!

screening router could defrag. I guess/hope (and this is only a guess
as I'm not in the Cisco engineering team) that defrag will
be added to IOS firewall feature.

That is Ciscos concern but if I was in charge I would never do this.

But, I still do not want that either the core Internet routers
or the internal routers defrag...

Conclusion, for security reason you MUST defragment IP datagrams
at one location (i.e. the firewall), for technical reasons it is
mostly IMPOSSIBLE to defragment in a router.

Agreed that you must defrag for security apps.  PIX and FW-1
are both routers, and you expect them to defrag, but you say
it cant be done?  Cisco routers are also firewalls, if you apply
access-lists.. they won't defrag... they need to, since there
are problems with access-lists of Ciscos (probably others
too, but I really only know Ciscos.)  It's certainly not impossible
for routers to defrag if they want.

;-) personaly, I would not qualify PIX (or FW-1) as a router ;-) They are
forwarding packets but do not/should not run a routing protocol
to build dynamic routing table.

Correct!

Now, having said this, we can start the war between application
gateway firewalls (which often rely on host TCP/IP stack for
defragmentation) and `stateful inspection' firewalls (which must
defragment).

No war neccessary... SPF/SMLI/SI firewalls need to defrag
to operate properly.  None of the ones on the market (so
far as I know) do so currently.  All AGs do, by their nature.
As far as frags go, AGs win.

:-)

It shouldn't be any problem to do this for any kind of firewall. I got an
email from Cisco that they have made a fix to the defrag-problem. This is
unofficial but it seems like it wasn't a very big deal to fix it.

And even ask whether any IDS is making defragmentation ;-)

Which isn't very easy. Got another design and I cannot see how this could
be implemented.

If I could make my access/internal router defrag, an IDS
would be a lot more useful to me.

That is a very valid point for Internet attacks, but, I fear
that a lot of attacks are coming from the inside. And internal
traffic should not be fragmented so current IDS should work.

Nevertheless, having a specific configuration command
that forbid the routing of fragmented packets would be really
desirable in an intranet situation (hoping you do not have Token
Ring or FDDI).

Or SLIP...

If for one would love to have the option of my Cisco defragging for me.

I agree that this could be really useful (mainly for screening
routers) but not as a default behavior.

One most know that this would really reduce the performace of the router.

Thanks for your comments anyway

-eric

Eric Vyncke
Technical Consultant               Cisco Systems Belgium SA/NV
Phone:  +32-2-778.4677             Fax:    +32-2-778.4300
E-mail: evyncke () cisco com          Mobile: +32-75-312.458

/Robert Stahlbrand, Ericsson Telecom AB