Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Cisco PIX bug, discussions (lenghty)

From: Travis Low <tlow () mindq com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:34:30 -0400

At 09:58 AM 8/25/98 -0700, Ryan Russell wrote:

If I may also make a sweeping statement:

Performance isn't relevant to security applications.  I.e. you
can't say "it will hurt performance, so we'll leave out some
security."  If that were a consideration, we wouldn't use firewalls.
Realistically, that means that if it's too slow we buy bigger
boxes or suffer along at a slower pace.

End users don't like to suffer.  If performance is lousy, they will try to
circumvent security procedures in order to get Real Work done.  Thus,
security policy implementations need to take human impatience into account.
 It follows that performance is relevant to security.

Real life example:  Company allows zero incoming TCP connections, so users
secretly buy and install modems.

Travis

Travis Low                                          MindQ Publishing
tlow () mindq com                        11490 Commerce Park Drive #400
+1 703 262 6616 (vox)                       Reston VA 20191-1532 USA
+1 703 716 0237 (fax)                           http://www.mindq.com
    "What are you eating?  Are you a rubbermint?" -- Tiernan Low