Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Cisco PIX bug, discussions (lengthy)

From: Frank Willoughby <frankw () in net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 23:36:45 -0500

At 09:58 AM 8/25/98 -0700, Ryan Russell allegedly wrote:

Agreed that you must defrag for security apps.  PIX and FW-1
are both routers, and you expect them to defrag, but you say
it cant be done?  Cisco routers are also firewalls, if you apply
access-lists.. they won't defrag... they need to, since there
are problems with access-lists of Ciscos (probably others
too, but I really only know Ciscos.)  It's certainly not impossible
for routers to defrag if they want.

Actually, FW-1 has the capability of behaving like an AG *IF*
the "Security Servers" ("proxies" in the real world) are turned
on.  Although stateful inspection is a very useful feature,
it takes a back seat to proxies in my book.  Personally, I
prefer AGs which use & promote the use of proxies over SPFs/SMLIs.

Cisco claims to have "cut-through proxies".  The docs I have seen
so far seems to indicate that their use of the term "proxy" (in
the normal firewall use of the term) is misleading.  YMMV, but I
would suggest you read their documentation first and then decide
for yourself if the PIX is an AG or a PF.  Maybe I'm missing
something (please correct me if I am wrong), but it sure looks
like a PF to me.

At least Checkpoint can use proxies if they wanted to.
Historically, they have claimed that SPF/SMLI is better.
I disagree.  Cisco doesn't even have proxies.

Most firewalls have been/will be subject to frag attacks for
a while.  Until the vendors have solved the problem permanently,
we will have to make the best of the current situation and take
Denial-of-Service attacks (including frags) into account when
doing our Contingency Planning.  I have privately talked to a
couple about this problem and mentioned a modest method or two
about preventing them.  Some vendors have been receptive, some
not.  Perhaps one day, frag attacks will be a thing of the past.
Time will tell.

Last, but not least, I would like to mention that firewalls
are *security* products first and network products second.
Network products are designed to provide the maximum bandwidth
and connectivity possible.  Firewalls are designed to restrict
network connectivity to only authorized connections/services.
If you want bandwidth, buy a router.  If you want security,
buy a decent firewall.

Best Regards,

Frank
The opinions of the author of this mail may not necessarily be
representative of the opinions of Fortifed Networks, Inc.

(c) Fortified Networks, Inc. - http://www.fortified.com/
Home of the Free Internet Firewall Evaluation Checklist
Expert (vendor-neutral) Computer and Network Security Solutions
Fixed Price Contracts - Expert Information Security Officers
Phone: (317) 573-0800     Fax: (317) 573-0817