Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Denial of service

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 22:57:15 -0400

Ted Doty writes:
Probably the only example of a mission critical application that
depends on the Internet is Internet-based electronic commerce.

Yup.

If being off the 'net for a prolonged period of time will
put you out of business, then your business model is
inherently flawed. In the current environment, anyone who
dislikes you badly enough can shut your doors. That's
scary to me. I see a lot of pure "internet plays" that
rely 100% on network availability. They're all hanging
by a thread and they (and their investors) don't realize
it.

mjr.
--
Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
work - http://www.nfr.net