Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Denial of service

From: "Joseph S. D. Yao" <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 18:25:30 -0400 (EDT)

A quick question for anyone out there...What exactly is denial of service?
And how can it be used to attack a particular server? I'm new to this, as
I've only been working for about a year, and hear this term from time to
time...thx.

It means that there is a service that you, the user, want to use, and
I, the bad guy, am denying it to you.

I could be doing this by standing between you and your keyboard [with a
menacing leer].

I could be doing this by flooding your network with "bad" packets
which, nevertheless, your host would feel honour-bound to spend 100%
of its cycles picking up and replying to.

I could be doing this by burying a fire axe in your favourite disk
drive.

Lots of options.

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO Computer Support                                          EMT-A/B