Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Network Security Certification

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 18:09:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Alec Muffett - SunLabs wrote:

I've been doing this for nearly 20 years and I find the material
a challenge.   Despite what people like Paul Robertson say, this is a
true test.

Adhearing to what I like to think of as "Bernstein's law" I'm apt to
respond to anywhere I'm quoted ;)

I won't argue with the fact that taking some kind of exam in the field
at least shows some sort of dedication to the topic of security, and
therefore could help employers sort some of the wheat from the chaff
of job applications.

I'm not so sure it doesn't show some sort of dedication to taking tests.
While Anton has obviously not been motivated to do this by lack of a
future, I'd be interested in hearing his apprasial of the other test
takers to contrast with what I've seen for the last 3 or 4 years.

 [snip]

Without "CLUES"(TM), all the knowledge in the world will not protect
your network; it is a regrettable almost-certaintly, however, that
your insurance premiums will eventually be bound to how many certificates
your staff have passed, rather than how many "CLUES"(TM) they possess.

I seriously fear this case.  It's difficult enough now to get a valid
business case for security funded.

[2] Speaking as someone whose only security (or indeed computing)
qualification whatsoever is a "Introductory Fortran for Numerical Analysis"
course segment taken in 1986 as part of an Astronomy degree.[3]

[3] Presumably this means I know nothing about security and therefore
am unemployable in the field.

Hey, for the paltry sum of a few rounds of beer, the Gargoyle which sits
on my monitor will certify you.  He got the idea from Marcus' cat's
firewall certification process.  Never fear, you too can be part of the
"Information Superhighway Highway Patrol."  Badges are extra ;)

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280