Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Network Security Certification

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 08:13:51 -0700

1998-04-28-12:58:51 Anton Aylward:
1997-09-22-18:37:11 Tina Bird:
I know the ISSA offers some sort of IS security certification, but I have
a vague recollection that it's pretty mainframe oriented.

You'll find many vocal people --- Anton in the lead --- who will come
charging out to deny this. You won't find anyone else who knows anything
detailed about it --- they don't advertise enough detail to evaluate
whether the test is worth anything or not --- so their word has to stand
unchallenged, at least on this point. I really look forward to hearing
what you have to say about this program.

I haven't paid much attention to the cert ads I've gotten because I
don't take them very seriously as proof of expertise [...]

You're in good company there; people whose expertise and opinions
I respect don't seem to have any use for these professional
certifications. But if you leave it off your resume it won't hurt you
come interviewing time:-).

[...] Despite what people like Paul Robertson say, this is a
true test.

Not just Paul:-).

-Bennett