Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Network Security Certification

From: "Shane Mason" <Shane_Mason () securecomputing com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:34:52 -0400

I have been listening to this thread, and I have a couple of things to add,
hopefully to clear some air.

If you are a "security professional", or want to be, I would recommend
taking a certification course from a company that has pull within the
industry.  I have worded this very specifically.  The valid derision of
current security professionals notwithstanding, a security certification
will provide you with enhanced credibility when presenting yourself as an
authority on security.  As the industry grows, and more and more people who
know nothing about security are looking for people to manage security for
their organizations, the certification will be something that business
people will use as a litmus test for keeping or discarding resumes.  If
there is a company with a certification process that is at least
reconizable by name, it will increase your marketability.

This has been true for over two decades, and not just in our industry.  A
university degree does not say anything about a person's ability to perform
and grow in a certain job.  Many highy motivated, highly skilled, and
highly experienced people have been passed over for a position because they
don't have a university degree listed in the Education section of their
resume.  In fact, companies may pass over the best candidate in exactly
this manner.  As an anecdote, I know a research scientist who teaches at a
University in Canada, and this person never completed their degree.  They
did a great job on thier 4th year thesis, started working for their
professor, consulted to companies in their area of expertise, etc., but
never actually graduated.  But who cares?!  These lucky/resourceful people
are in the minority.  When an employer has 100 resumes on their desk, they
are going to choose who looks best on paper to bring in for interviews.
Anything that can go on the resume to make you look better will increase
your chances of success.  This is true for MCSEs, and CNEs as well.

My plea to business people is exactly the opposite.  You must take great
care.  When you are hiring for a mission critical position, there is no
substitute for experience and knowledge.  It is necessary to "go the extra
mile" in determining fitness for the position.  If you end up hiring
someone beacuse of their paper skills, it could cost you more than a larger
salary in lost productivity and, in the case of a security manager, in lost
information resources.

ICMan

Please respond to "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>