Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Selling insurance --

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 16:42:10 -0400

I'd like to correct myself -- I should have done my research more
carefully. NCSA was not offering their insurance program in partnership
with Prudential. I had my wires crossed with something else.

For details see:
http://www.ncsa.com/pressrelease/pr12.html

Wherein it says:
"The insurance policy, named InsureSiteSM, is being underwritten by
member companies of American International Group, Inc. (AIG)
and is available through Atlanta-based insurance broker Hamilton Dorsey
Alston Co. (HDA). Insureds whose web sites are certified by
the National Computer Security Association (NCSA) are eligible for
premium discounts."

For information about thier testing procedures, see:
http://www.aberdeen.com/research/comp/profiles/iss/96100157.htm

Wherein it says:
"Most significantly, the National Computer Security Association (NCSA)
uses ISS’s Firewall Scanner as a core part of its firewall accreditation
program that certifies firewall products. The introduction of NCSA’s
certification programs have led several insurance carriers to
underwrite liability coverage for NCSA-certified web sites."

Verisign also offers an insurance plan(!) see:
http://www.verisign.com/pr/pr_netsure.html

which covers digital ID subscribers, backed by USF&G.

At any rate, I apologize again for the inaccuracy; Prudential, to
my knowledge, is not involved in this area.

mjr.
--
Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
work - http://www.nfr.net