Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Mobile Code Security???

From: James Burton <jamesb () aone com au>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:40:40 +1000 (EST)

On 29-Apr-98 Todd Radermacher wrote:
I'm curious as to the groups opinion on Java, JavaScript, ActiveX ,
or more generally - mobile code secuirty technologies.

Are methods for dealing with mobile code to become "standard"
features in commerical firewalls?

I have been working in this space for over a year now and I'm
afraid my perception may be *biased*.  ;-)

What about other forms of "mobile" or "downloadable" code.
e.g. Virii/trojans transmitted by mail, word documents blah blah blah.
Who's going to write a proxy that can strip these from floppies, laptops
and email? Or should I make a big sandbox for all the PC's to play in :-)

Thanks,
James

---
James Burton (jamesb () aone com au)       "Many's the long night I've dreamed of
System Administration                   cheese - toasted mostly." R.L.S.
Access One p/l, 41 Malcolm Rd.
Braeside Victoria 3195, Australia.      http://www.home.aone.net.au/staff/james/